Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The Oneness of One and Many

"It's a predatory world," he said.

"It's a predatory world," Tahkipas said.
"Everything becomes the soil, even metal, which turns to rust, turns to soil. To feed the plants."

The plant we gathered around. 

The plant we gathered around to fill the earth with is the Santa Lucia Fir 
Endemic to the Ventana Wilderness.
Sheltered from the fire in cool, moist river canyon bottoms.
Escaping fire on the rocky outcroppings of higher elevations.

Barefooted, we each reach out to make contact with the tree.
To look at the white striations under the leaves--mirroring patterns: striations in local rock formations, designs in the hand petroglyphs in nearby caves.

Tahikpas says, "You will find a fish!
"When you find a dead fish, bring it here, and plant it with the tree to give it nourishment."

Just before the ceremony, I take what I assume will be my last soak in the healing waters of Tassajara creek. As I leave it behind, I think to myself, for three years I've been crawling in this creek with the fish! It's somehow normal. Natural. A matter of course in a fish eat fish world.

Then I return, to wash the muddy soil from my feet. I've stood close to the Fir. Blessed it. Kissed its new home with my toes.
 
----------
We left home that day crammed into Lars' truck. Already a tight squeeze for three, augmented with a pile of disparate belongings. 

They dallied at Ashes point, a site marked by relief and release, the smoke there making no signal. I took the road on foot, reminiscing that I'd gotten more time on it in previous summers. It was sunset. I climbed for a while.

The whoosh of several birds plunging into a ravine surprised me. I'd never seen anything like it before. I continued with the soft dust and hardpan road under my feet. Had they let me climb to the ridge intentionally, or not?

More distant ridgetops shadowed to silhouettes on the glow of gold and orange air. The approaching truck now wore its headlights, the sound of its engine melding with the silence. My peaceful resign was to one last view of this land.

----------
Sangha News (photo of tree planting ceremony)
Last Days at Tassajara | The Cloud Mountains (Mako and Graham say goodbye)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment