Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Market to Market


Little Applegate, OR

First time I feel like I'm catching up on sleep. I kind of knew a certain peace that would lend itself to rest as Lasse drove us into the valley yesterday. It's quiet out here in the country, in a large, mostly vacant farmhouse. I have a huge comfy bed to myself. Also my first hot bath since Tassajara. Yesterday's drive into Oregon was sunrise over fir topped hills.  Made our way over to the Rise Up Artisan Bread stand where Ruthie, a Full Bloom Farm resident, welcomed us with enthusiasm when we said we were from Tassajara. She's a prospective GGF student/apprentice for next spring, very sweet. In no time she had me (with my months of experience peddling Tassajara bread) covering the stand for a bit.

Cannabis has a place in the natural order, here. I mention it not because it's grown on the farm, but because this is my first time encountering its frequent use on the west coast. (Keep in mind that I've been in a monastery for three years.) I had no idea that carrying up to a pound was legal in western states, more if you apply to be someone's grower. All in the name of medicinal use. 

I get the sense that Full Bloom was a production farm until its producers moved on recently. For several years it's been home to their bakery, which continues to sell to local grocers and markets in the Rogue Valley area. The oven there is impressive, 7 feet tall, 13-foot diameter, Spanish built in 8 days, eats a cord of wood a month, located in a community building that is just an amazing cob and straw-bale insulated structure.

For our part, we picked berries and grapes and made a dinner featuring fresh-squeezed grape juice and raspberry pie. And we helped sell and strike and set up the market stands on two days. Got some lore on a local permaculture production farm down the valley, which will have to wait for touring another day. We ramble on to Eugene for to chicken sit tomorrow.

B

No comments:

Post a Comment